What should I ask a contractor during the initial meeting?
With a typical consultation lasting only 60 minutes, this presents quite a dilemma for first-time remodeling clients. The home renovation business is a murky world and selecting the right person can be a daunting task.
Anne Higuera (CGR, CAPS) identifies ten great questions that get right to the heart of the matter. Explained in full detail in her article, Anne outlines issues which any responsible contractor should be able to answer with ease.
- What is our schedule?
- Who will be here every day?
- How will you protect my property?
- How will you communicate with me?
- What part of my project concerns you?
- What will happen if there is a change order?
- How will you let me know I need to make a decision?
- How do I reach you after hours?
- When do I need to be available to meet?
- What kind of documentation will I receive when the project is done?
Anne Higuera |
Communication and understanding are critical aspects of the contractor-client relationship.
Sketchy contractors will likely struggle with these pointed questions and you will present yourself as a well-informed client. Be sure to address these concerns
before handing over the keys to your home.